Sunday, November 14, 2010

Crazy Survivor Contestants & Call Me Habib

Growing up, it was always a challenge for me to be fully associated with any one ethnic group. I was so much lighter than the kids in my neighborhood, so they called me White Boy. However I was too dark for the white kids, so I always felt that difference. I look Spanish, but I'm not, and don't speak a lick so I couldn't hang with those kids. And it wasn't until I traveled to Israel did I learn that I also appear to look Arabic. Lol. You haven't lived until you have had an Israeli equivalent of a TSA officer question you for a Half Hour about who you are, where did your name come from, where were you born, why are you here, etc, etc, etc... It was fun, but next time I visit Ill make sure I shave the beard before coming.

So here is my black side talking at the moment. I have become increasingly disturbed at the depiction of black folk on television. It seems on every reality show, the casting directors always want to cast the eccentric black woman or the hood brother who cant put a correct sentence together. It is quite discouraging, when you think that people who don't have much contact with people like myself or my wife, would see these individuals on tv and believe that's how we all act.

Take the show Survivor for example. My wife and I are avid fans, and we have watched almost every season. On this season there is a contestant by the name of Naonka, from South Central LA. She fits the typical stereotypical model for a black woman, loud and obnoxious. Its just a shame, because like I said, this is the representation that we present to everyone, and this is not who I want to be associated with.



Maybe its just me, and maybe its not that big of a deal, but Im just tired of seeing it.  I dont know who is more at fault, the casting directors for consistently picking the same stereotypical people, or the actual individuals for realizing the national stage that they are on, and depicting themselves the way they do.  Am I crazy?

No comments: